This week on The Scholars’ Circle we spend the hour addressing homelessness in America:
First, the economic crisis is pushing more people into homelessness, an already pervasive epidemic in America. We’ll look at one duo’s efforts to rescue some of the most vulnerable homeless men and women, one by one, and explore the system’s workings and failures from their experiences. [ dur: 28mins. ]
- Robin Nixon, record producer;
- Dennis Davis, musician, documentary producer;
Then, on the Scholars’ Circle panel we further examine homelessness in America with three experts. A recent report published in the efforts to end homelessness entitled, The State of Homelessness in America 2014, found on a single night in January 2013, 610,042 people were experiencing homelessness. What are the realities for the homeless? What are some of the causes contributing to homelessness? And what are some of the solutions? [ dur: 30 mins. ]
- Sam Tsemberis is a Professor Clinical Psychiatry at Columbia University. Founder & Executive. Director of Pathway to Housing. He is author of Housing First Manual: The Pathways Model to End Homelessness for People with Mental Illness and Addiction
- James Baumohl is Professor of Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research at Bryn Mawr College. He is author of Homelessness in America.
- Kim Hopper is Professor of Medical anthropology and research scientist at Nathan S. Klein Institute at Colombia University. He is author of Reckoning with Homelessness (The Anthropology of Contemporary Issues).
Visit our Store [ lists books written by each on this panel ]