First, the underworld of organ trafficking. [ dur: 10 mins. ]
- Nancy Scheper-Hughes, is Professor of anthropology at University of California, Berkeley, editor of Commodifying Bodies and co-author of Violence in War and Peace: An Anthology.
- Art Caplan, is Professor and head of the division of Bioethics at New York University Langone Medical Center and award-winning author of books including Applied Ethics in Mental Health Care: An Interdisciplinary Reader, Ethics and Organ Transplants, and Smart Mice, Not so Smart People.
Then, in the face of mass extinction scientists are exploring bringing back species from the dead. Our panel of scientists discuss de-extinction. What criteria should be used to determine which species to bring back? What are some of the ethical considerations? [ dur: 48 mins. ]
- Michael Archer is Professor in the School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of New South Wales. He is the author of Prehistoric Mammals of Australia and New Guinea: One Hundred Million Years of Evolution and From Plesiosaurs to People : 100 Million Years of Australian Environmental History. He’s part of the team that’s working on the de-extinction efforts to bring back Thylacine and Southern Grastric-brooding Frog.
- Douglas McCauley is Professor in the Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology at the University of California Santa Barbara. He has co-authored numerous research papers including, Megafaunal impacts on structure and function of ocean ecosystems, Marine defaunation: animal loss in the global oceans, Resetting predator baselines in coral reef ecosystems.
- Susan Haig is Senior Scientist at U. S. Geologic Survery (USGS) Forest and Rangeland Ecosystem Science Center and Courtesy Professor of Wildlife Ecology at Oregon State University. She is the co-author of many research papers including, Ancient DNA reveals substantial genetic diversity in the California Condor (Gymnogyps californianus) prior to a population bottleneck, and The Conservation Genetics Juggling Act- Integrating Genetics and Ecology, Science and Policy
Find book authored by our guest scholars on this Book Shelf .
This program is produced with generous contribution from Ankine Aghassian, Melissa Chiprin, Tim Page, Mike Hurst and Sudd Dongre.